Date & Time:
February 10, 2017 -
10:00am to 1:00pm
Meet about 3/10 mile north of the entrance to Sabino Canyon on Sabino Canyon Road, parking along the road near the entrance to the new overflow parking lot. There is legal parking there, pay attention to the parking signs.
We will walk in on a wonderful trail near the Southern AZ Rescue Association. The Sabino Canyon main parking area gets very congested and it is difficult to find parking at that time of the morning. This meeting place is much easier for parking, plus the parking pass is not required, for those who don’t have one. We will enjoy the fragrance of desert mistletoe blooms along the way while searching for butterflies nectaring at this wildflower and others. We will look for early Spring flyers such as Southwestern and Desert Orangetips, Spring White, Desert Marble, and many more.
Type of terrain: Most of our walk will be on paved road but we may choose to walk on gravel trails, depending on the abilities of participants.
Beginners are welcome on all field trips! Experienced members will share their butterfly knowledge and expertise with all field trip participants. Children accompanied by a responsible adult are welcome on SEABA field trips. A donation of $5 per person to benefit SEABA will be appreciated. Carpooling from the meeting place is encouraged and it is kind to share gas expenses. If high clearance vehicles are required for a trip, it will be noted in individual trip descriptions. Dress for the field with sturdy shoes, hat, sunscreen, and insect repellant. Bring your own water, snacks, and lunch. Close-focusing binoculars, cameras, and field guides will be helpful aids for butterfly observation and identification. Trips usually end by mid-afternoon unless noted differently in individual trip descriptions.
Please be aware that:
1. Collecting or netting is NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
2. Pets, with the exception of service animals, are NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
3. All field trip participants are required to sign SEABA's Release and Assumption of Risk form at the beginning of the trip. The form may be viewed at SEABA Release.
4. Please arrive a few minutes prior to the meeting time posted for trips to facilitate paperwork and introductions to other trip participants.
5. Field trips may be cancelled or rescheduled on short notice due to changing weather or road conditions. Please check the website for updates prior to the Field Trip.
Our Southeastern Arizona Butterfly Checklist can be downloaded here. Please note that the SEABA checklist is copyrighted.
Local NABA Butterfly Counts are listed at NABA Counts
Field trips organized by the Central Arizona Butterfly Association are listed at their website: CAzBA.