Date & Time:
January 23, 2016 - 8:00am
Sabino Canyon Visitor Center
On a cool, sunny, and blustery day, a few hardy participants went in search of very early season butterflies along the paved tram trail in Sabino Canyon.
Trip Butterfly Reports:
- Checkered White Pontia protodice
- Mexican Yellow Eurema Mexicana
- Sleepy Orange Abais nicippe
- Dainty Sulphur Nathalis iole
- Eastern Tailed-blue Everes comyntas
- 'Echo' Spring Azure Celastrina ladon
- American Snout Libytheana carinenta
- Texan Crescent Anthanassa texana
- Common Buckeye Junonia coenia
Beginners are welcome on all field trips! Experienced members will share their butterfly knowledge and expertise with all field trip participants. Children accompanied by a responsible adult are welcome on SEABA field trips. A donation of $5 per person to benefit SEABA will be appreciated. Carpooling from the meeting place is encouraged and it is kind to share gas expenses. If high clearance vehicles are required for a trip, it will be noted in individual trip descriptions. Dress for the field with sturdy shoes, hat, sunscreen, and insect repellant. Bring your own water, snacks, and lunch. Close-focusing binoculars, cameras, and field guides will be helpful aids for butterfly observation and identification. Trips usually end by mid-afternoon unless noted differently in individual trip descriptions.
Please be aware that:
1. Collecting or netting is NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
2. Pets, with the exception of service animals, are NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
3. All field trip participants are required to sign SEABA's Release and Assumption of Risk form at the beginning of the trip. The form may be viewed at SEABA Release.
4. Please arrive a few minutes prior to the meeting time posted for trips to facilitate paperwork and introductions to other trip participants.
5. Field trips may be cancelled or rescheduled on short notice due to changing weather or road conditions. Please check the website for updates prior to the Field Trip.
Our Southeastern Arizona Butterfly Checklist can be downloaded here. Please note that the SEABA checklist is copyrighted.
Local NABA Butterfly Counts are listed at NABA Counts
Field trips organized by the Central Arizona Butterfly Association are listed at their website: CAzBA.