Date & Time:
January 2, 2018 -
9:00am to 2:00pm
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum entrance plaza
Let’s start the new year off looking for butterflies among the natural history delights of the Desert Museum! We’ll look for butterflies in the mistletoe, fairy dusters, and any other blooming plants, as well as enjoying Raptor Free Flight in the morning. Bring lunch or buy lunch at the restaurant(s). We’ll finish by 2pm.
Desert Museum entrance fees or membership required for entrance onto the grounds.
Keep an eye on the weather and CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR POSSIBLE WEATHER-RELATED CANCELLATION OF THIS FIELD TRIP.
Trip Butterfly Reports:
On an unseasonably warm day, we found 16 species nectering on the Museum grounds.
Pipevine Swallowtail Battus philenor
Southern Dogface Colias cesonia
Mexican Yellow Eurema mexicana
Sleepy Orange Abaeis nicippe
Dainty Sulphur Nathalis iole
Great Purple Hairstreak Atlides halesus
Leda Ministreak Ministrymon leda
Marine Blue Leptotes marina
Ceraunus Blue Hemiargus ceraunus
Reakirt's Blue Echinargus isola
American Snout Libytheana carinenta
Queen Danaus gilippus
Gulf Fritillary Agraulis vanillae
Texan Crescent Anthanassa texana
Painted Lady Vanessa cardui
Funereal Duskywing Erynnis funeralis
Beginners are welcome on all field trips! Experienced members will share their butterfly knowledge and expertise with all field trip participants. Children accompanied by a responsible adult are welcome on SEABA field trips. A donation of $5 per person to benefit SEABA will be appreciated. Carpooling from the meeting place is encouraged and it is kind to share gas expenses. If high clearance vehicles are required for a trip, it will be noted in individual trip descriptions. Dress for the field with sturdy shoes, hat, sunscreen, and insect repellant. Bring your own water, snacks, and lunch. Close-focusing binoculars, cameras, and field guides will be helpful aids for butterfly observation and identification. Trips usually end by mid-afternoon unless noted differently in individual trip descriptions.
Please be aware that:
1. Collecting or netting is NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
2. Pets, with the exception of service animals, are NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
3. All field trip participants are required to sign SEABA's Release and Assumption of Risk form at the beginning of the trip. The form may be viewed at SEABA Release.
4. Please arrive a few minutes prior to the meeting time posted for trips to facilitate paperwork and introductions to other trip participants.
5. Field trips may be cancelled or rescheduled on short notice due to changing weather or road conditions. Please check the website for updates prior to the Field Trip.
Our Southeastern Arizona Butterfly Checklist can be downloaded here. Please note that the SEABA checklist is copyrighted.
Local NABA Butterfly Counts are listed at NABA Counts
Field trips organized by the Central Arizona Butterfly Association are listed at their website: CAzBA.