Date & Time:
February 13, 2016 - 8:00am
McDonald's Parking Lot, NE corner of Catalina Hwy and Tanque Verde Rd intersection, Tucson
On a cool and blustery day, we searched in vain for Brown Elfin (Callophrys augustinus) in the manzanitas at Molino Basin Campground on the Catalina Highway.
Trip Butterfly Reports:
- Pipevine Swallowtail Battus philenor
- Two-tailed Swallowtail Papilio multicaudata
- Sara Orangetip Anthocharis sara
- Southern Dogface Zerene cesonia
- Mexican Yellow Eurema Mexicana
- Dainty Sulphur Nathalis iole
- 'Echo' Spring Azure Celastrina ladon
- Gray HairstreakStrymon melinus
- Common Buckeye Junonia coenia
- White Checkered-skipper Pyrgus albescens
Beginners are welcome on all field trips! Experienced members will share their butterfly knowledge and expertise with all field trip participants. Children accompanied by a responsible adult are welcome on SEABA field trips. A donation of $5 per person to benefit SEABA will be appreciated. Carpooling from the meeting place is encouraged and it is kind to share gas expenses. If high clearance vehicles are required for a trip, it will be noted in individual trip descriptions. Dress for the field with sturdy shoes, hat, sunscreen, and insect repellant. Bring your own water, snacks, and lunch. Close-focusing binoculars, cameras, and field guides will be helpful aids for butterfly observation and identification. Trips usually end by mid-afternoon unless noted differently in individual trip descriptions.
Please be aware that:
1. Collecting or netting is NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
2. Pets, with the exception of service animals, are NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
3. All field trip participants are required to sign SEABA's Release and Assumption of Risk form at the beginning of the trip. The form may be viewed at SEABA Release.
4. Please arrive a few minutes prior to the meeting time posted for trips to facilitate paperwork and introductions to other trip participants.
5. Field trips may be cancelled or rescheduled on short notice due to changing weather or road conditions. Please check the website for updates prior to the Field Trip.
Our Southeastern Arizona Butterfly Checklist can be downloaded here. Please note that the SEABA checklist is copyrighted.
Local NABA Butterfly Counts are listed at NABA Counts
Field trips organized by the Central Arizona Butterfly Association are listed at their website: CAzBA.