Date & Time:
October 11, 2015 - 8:00am
Arivaca Cienega, Buenos Aires Cienega, Arivaca, AZ
This trip is by special invitation from Monarchwatch.org
SEABA members joined Gail Morris of Monarchwatch.org in forays off the official boardwalk to tag migrating monarch butterflies. Although only a few monarchs were found and tagged, a good time was had by all who showed to help with this important endeavor. in addition to the Monarchs, 20 other species of butterflies were seen.
Trip Butterfly Reports:
- Pipevine Swallowtail Battus philenor
- Orange Sulphur Colias eurytheme
- Southern Dogface Zerene cesonia
- Cloudless Sulphur Phoebis sennae
- Mexican Yellow Eurema Mexicana
- Dainty Sulphur Nathalis iole
- Western Pygmy-Blue Brephidium exilis
- Fatal Metalmark Calephelis nemesis
- American Snout Libytheana carinenta
- Gulf Fritillary Agraulis vanillae
- Variegated Fritillary Euptoieta claudia
- Mexican Fritillary Euptoieta hegesia
- Texan Crescent Anthanassa texana
- American Lady Vanessa virginiensis
- Painted Lady Vanessa cardui
- Monarch Danaus plexippus
- Queen Danaus gilippus
- Funereal Duskywing Erynnis funeralis
- White Checkered-Skipper Pyrgus albescens
- Fiery Skipper Hylephila phyleus
- Pahaska Skipper Hesperia pahaska
Beginners are welcome on all field trips! Experienced members will share their butterfly knowledge and expertise with all field trip participants. Children accompanied by a responsible adult are welcome on SEABA field trips. A donation of $5 per person to benefit SEABA will be appreciated. Carpooling from the meeting place is encouraged and it is kind to share gas expenses. If high clearance vehicles are required for a trip, it will be noted in individual trip descriptions. Dress for the field with sturdy shoes, hat, sunscreen, and insect repellant. Bring your own water, snacks, and lunch. Close-focusing binoculars, cameras, and field guides will be helpful aids for butterfly observation and identification. Trips usually end by mid-afternoon unless noted differently in individual trip descriptions.
Please be aware that:
1. Collecting or netting is NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
2. Pets, with the exception of service animals, are NOT allowed on SEABA field trips.
3. All field trip participants are required to sign SEABA's Release and Assumption of Risk form at the beginning of the trip. The form may be viewed at SEABA Release.
4. Please arrive a few minutes prior to the meeting time posted for trips to facilitate paperwork and introductions to other trip participants.
5. Field trips may be cancelled or rescheduled on short notice due to changing weather or road conditions. Please check the website for updates prior to the Field Trip.
Our Southeastern Arizona Butterfly Checklist can be downloaded here. Please note that the SEABA checklist is copyrighted.
Local NABA Butterfly Counts are listed at NABA Counts
Field trips organized by the Central Arizona Butterfly Association are listed at their website: CAzBA.